At the beginning of February 1988, at the direction of the Republic Procurator, the following persons were warned at local procurators' offices: Father Antanas Šeškevičius (Associate Pastor of Gargždai parish) Father Vincas Vėlavičius (Telšiai Cathedral Mass-priest) Genovaitė Krisiūnaitė (Alytus II parish organist) Veronika Beišytė (Kapsukas) Kryževičius Family (Kaunas) Monika Gavėnaitė (Šiluva) Sigitas Gudaitis (Prienai)

It was emphasized to them that if they signed petitions similar to those addressed to people of good-will world-wide, they would be penalized in ac­cord with Criminal Code, Par. 68.


On February 2,1988, at the end of Petras Gražulis' trial, the following were crudely and unjustly detained by the KGB: Vincas Danielius (Šiauliai) Gintas Sakavičius (Kapčiamiestis) Rimantas Matulaitis (Kapsukas) Bronė Valaitytė (Sasnava).

Inspector Stripinaitis of the Criminal Subsection used physical force on those detained. Together with other militia officers, he cursed them. Judge Rudzhensko, having found them guilty of violating Par. 187 of the Code of Ad­ministrative Law (failing to carry out the directives of a duly constituted official — hooliganism), sentenced them to fifteen days. The guards were stern but just, while higher militia officers ridiculed them and Commandant Major Avietynas often used to come in intoxicated.

On February 3, Matulaitis was summoned and interrogated by a KGB agent who would not give his name. The chekist was interested in knowing what Vincas Danielius talked about with Matulaitis and Sakavičius.

    On February 10, Danielius was interrogated. The chekist would not give his name, promising to introduce himself later since, according to him, that was not to be the last interrogation of Danielius. The KGB agent was interested in knowing Danielius' opinion of Petras Gražulis's refusal to report for military training, and whether he intended to enter the seminary. He declared that be­cause of the jail sentence, Danielius would have a lot of trouble enrolling in the seminary. He asked how Danielius was preparing to commemorate February 16 (Lithuanian Independence Day - Trans. Note). Finally, he advised him to reconsider his behavior, to form the appropriate conclusions, and while it was still not too late, to mend his ways.

On February 17, the detainees were released. Waiting for them at the Kapsukas Department of Internal Affairs, with flowers, was a small group of about twenty like-minded individuals.

After praying in the church in Kapsukas, they visited the cemetery where they placed flowers on the graves of soldiers who had perished for Lithuanian freedom.


In the middle of the month of February 1988, Senior Stage Technician Stanislovas Kazokaitis and Lighting Technician Domas Kančiauskas, were sum­moned to the office of the Director of the Šiauliai Drama Theater for interroga­tion.

The questions during the interrogation concerned Vincas Danielius, a resident of Šiauliai, Kauno 34-1. Chekist Kanapė was interested in finding out how Danielius was employed (at the Šiauliai Theater, Danielius worked as a graphic artist), whether he had broken any rules, what his political views were, whether he participated in the August 23 demonstration in Vilnius, and whether he noticed any anti-Soviet or religious literature at home.

The chekist asked Danielius to be warned that the latter should change his views, since otherwise he could experience great unpleasantness and even wind up in the prisoners' dock.

On April 14, auto base driver Arūnas Zembleckis was summoned to the Office of the Director of the Šiauliai Column of the Lithuanian Ministry of Communications Auto Base. The KGB agent who interrogated him would not give his name. The agent tried to recruit Zembleckis as a KGB agent, to report with whom and about what Danielius speaks and what he is interested in. He demanded that this interview remain secret. Zembleckis did not promise and refused to cooperate with the KGB.