On January 18, 1974, Virgilijus Jaugelis was ordered to present himself before the Vilnius State Security Committee. Lazarevičius, the interrogator, attempted to find out the name of the person who had given Jaugelis a satchel containing mimeograph stencils. Jaugelis explained that, in his opinion, the search that had been conducted in his home was illegal since freedom of the press is guaranteed by the constitution. Those who had conducted the search were, in fact, lawbreakers, and that for this reason he was refusing to say anything. One of the interrogators expressed the opinion that V. Jaugelis should be taken to a mental hospital to have his health checked.

    Jaugelis was interrogated again on the following day. He was asked whether he knew Petronis, Father Zdebskis, and others. Jaugelis was fingerprinted and had to provide samples of his handwriting.

    On February 25, 1974, the Rev. Jonas Buliauskas was ordered to appear before the Vilnius State Security Committee for questioning. The priest, however, refused to answer the interrogator's questions on the grounds that the latter had no right to interrogate him concerning religious matters.


    In January, 1974, Arimantas Raškinis (a graduate student of technology) was ordered to report to security police headquarters in Vilnius for questioning. His wife, Danutė Raškinienė (a graduate student of physics and mathematics), is employed by the V. Kapsukas University in Vilnius as an instructor in the department of physics and mathematics of the evening school in Kaunas. Both were warned that in the future they might lose their jobs because of their religious convictions.


    On Ash Wednesday, 1974, the Rev. J. Zdebskis was ordered to appear for questioning before the Vilnius State Security Committee. In the opinion of the security police, he is the "General," that is, the leader of the anti-Soviet activities. His interrogation lasted until the evening of the following day.


    Many other persons were also interrogated by the Vilnius State Security Committee. Among these were K. Tarutis [Mrs.] A. Pliuirienė, and [Miss] N. Stašaitytė. The security police were interested mostly in their acquaintance with those who have been arrested, and with others.

    There is no information about the interrogations of some of those arrested, namely, P. Pliuira, J. Stašaitis, and others. One security policeman was heard to remark that the interrogations would take about a year since "that's the style nowadays." One prisoner made the following statement about the present methods of interrogation: "If one compares interrogations conducted in 1958 with those being conducted now, they are as different as heaven from hell."

    Being unable to physically ease the suffering of those who have been arrested, the believers of Lithuania remember them daily in their prayers.

    It is widely said that during the interrogations attempts are made to recruit certain persons into working for the security organs.